FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:24 am
EGW1

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by escape4
I generally avoid hotels which do not upgrade and as documented earlier in this thread I have never received a suite ugprade even when they were available on marriott.com at time of check-in. So I hear you, it is frustrating. And I can relate to your experience regarding management's detached attitude on occasion - I was asked to move to a new room at 6pm one time because they needed to spray chemicals on my floor (!?). I was clearly not happy and they did not do anything about it except point out that my new room was better. And I found a cockroach in my room on a subsequent stay.

Despite all that, I continue to return sometimes, perhaps because I see more positives than you do, while not disagreeing with any of the negatives you pointed out.

Not only is the lounge great, but I see a very significant margin between that one and any other lounge in Bangkok. Breakfast in the lounge is a peace haven. Breakfast in the restaurant is more hectic (but not overly so compared to SGS for example) but food is fantastic. If you ask me to pick St.Regis breakfast or Athenee breakfast, I will pick Athenee 9 times out of 10 and would only pick StR once in a while to mix things up.

Also, while I cannot be pleased about the lack of upgrades as an Ambassador returning guest when there are rooms available, at least the entry level room is spacious and in good condition, unlike the entry level room at other hotels. You like the Marquis? Before I moved to a suite mid stay over there, I was disturbed by noise: I could hear the neighbor in the adjoining room talking, not screaming. There is no soundproofing whatsoever there.

So if I have to be stuck in the entry level room somewhere, I would pick Athenee ahead of any other Marriott hotel except St.Regis. Even ahead of SGS. And while I never had a suite at Athenee, to be fair I have been upgraded to other kinds of rooms on occasion for example Prestige and Royal Club.

Finally, I return to Athenee because I find it easier to get BRG than other properties. I have a couple of upcoming stays for 3100 THB flexible. Hard to beat that, so my intent is to enjoy the good and not obsess about the negatives at that price. Athenee is not perfect but I am hesitant to pay a lot more for another hotel just because I am not fully happy with my previous stays at Athenee. The good is good enough so I return. Maybe others are more picky than I am, but the fact is that even St.Regis Bangkok is not up to StR level compared to other cities and I have yet to find the perfect hotel in Bangkok. I was not wowed by Park Hyatt, and will try Waldorf Astoria next month. I also intend to try Marriott Surawong and Marriott Soi 57 at some point (and Hyatt Regency) but should I really pay 50% more for those compared to Athenee? Not sure. There are not a lot of instances where I would pay 50% more for a Marriott brand compared to Luxury Collection in the same city. If I cannot find BRG then yes Athenee is usually more expensive and when that happens I will try the Marriotts.
genuinely no offense itended, but I wouldn’t return anywhere with a cockroach in room, and that’s having lived in south east asia for 5 years! Marquis I’ve never experienced the noise problem, but I don’t think I’ve had a suite with an adjoining door (and I’ve only once not had a suite). I would pay more (even significantly more) to stay somewhere I feel comfortable in, like St Regis or Park Hyatt or W or Peninsula or Mandarin. I’d take the SGS or Marquis over the Athenee. That said, my satisfaction at hotels is primarily driven by the hardware/ambience, spa, in room dining, and service...lounge offerings and breakfasts don’t really sway me as I rarely have breakfast and I’d rather have a nice drink at a bar of choice than a hotel lounge, tho a good Gin Martini or glass of Champagne on offer would be a clincher! So, as ever, it all depends on your own preferences. Waldorf you will likely enjoy, although there are some issues with construction and street noise...my next one to try is Rosewood.

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 5, 2019 at 4:36 am