FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TAP connection in Lisbon
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:59 pm
milfweed20

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Originally Posted by GFB3
I assume you are on TP 202 out of ERW, which puts you right in the middle of morning rush hour (5:20-6:20 AM) when ~10-12 international A330/340s arrive. With that number of flights, it all comes down to luck. LIS immigration is bad and getting progressively worse but that seems to be from volume. I arrive on TP 218 from BOS, which is scheduled to arrive 5 minutes before 202. Monday (3/24) I spent 2+ hours in the maze; 2 weeks before it was only 35 minutes. The difference was 10 minutes required to transfer via bus from a remote stand vs. a gate spot and JetWay. I've experienced more remote parking recently so that may be the trend.

Once in the terminal and at the immigration maze entrance, keep an eye and ear out for TAP or airport personnel calling out destination names. They will pull you out of line if you are in danger of missing your connection. From what I've seen, the danger zone is 30 - 35 minutes for EU flights but that changes based on personnel. If you don't hear your destination, get in line and flag down one of the individuals walking up and down the right side of the maze. Even if they don't pull you out right then at least know you are there should the need arise.

Unfortunately, I don't see the situation getting any better as TAP adds more US cities and we enter high season. It's gotten to the point a cheap, separately ticketed "connection" 50 minutes after my arrival may become a legitimate option. My final destination is always LIS but it would be worth the $60 to get back 2 hours of time!
I did that flight 2 weeks ago and can verify the immigration is pretty chaotic during those hours. Even in e-gates there was a line that took like 10 minutes to go thru. Would recommend for you to find someone from Tap and try to get some help from them skipping the line. Best of luck.