FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:00 pm
PV_Premier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier

My my plan is to get to SMF around 10 or 11 pm and chill. My flight is around 5 am.

Anyone slept at SMF? Will it be open? Will I not be allowed through security until the next morning or can I get through security?
You will likely not be allowed airside the night before with a boarding pass for 5am the next day. There are redeye departures out of terminal A that leave between 12-1am to DFW/IAH/MSP, but I think they shut it down airside after that and kick people out after those flights leave. The last departure out of terminal B is around 12:30am to GDL.

You can sleep outside security. There are automated announcements that go on all night every 10' about security, keeping your bags in your control, etc. Nothing is open overnight with respect to stores/restaurants/etc. People do not commonly stay in the landside area of the airport overnight so security may ask you once or twice what you are doing. But it's not that the airport completely closes, access is permissible 24 hours.

Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier
No issues checking bags 6 hours in advance right? I’m a little worried they will be unattended.
YMMV. If you are flying on WN or AS for instance, you'll likely find the ticket counters unattended after about 9:30pm. DL/UA/AA/B6 have late evening departures so ticket counters will be staffed until roughly 11:30pm. Some agents may refuse to take your bags, but if they take them they'll be just fine/safe overnight.

If I were you, I would find another plan, but that's just me.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 4, 2019 at 6:31 pm Reason: Formatting for readability