FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:53 pm
helvetic

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I think it's fair to blame SNAs for lower availability of check-in upgrades. This would logically be especially prevalent at resort hotels like the one @C17PSGR mentioned where most people are on vacation and likely looking to use SNAs.

SNAs are clearing 5 days out in many cases whereas most hotels don't even think about blocking out upgraded rooms for any incoming guests more than 24-48 hours out except in special circumstances (such as SNAs). Properties can't block out upgrades for Ambassador's 5+ days in advance of a stay as the revenue opportunity cost for them is clearly a lot higher.

Don't get me wrong, I like SNAs, in fact I think Ambassador's should get unlimited SNAs (part of my revamp plan for the Ambassador program) but I think it's undeniable that they aren't a good development for Ambassador's who are used to getting check-in upgrades to suites because now they have a lot more competition, especially at properties mostly likely to see high SNA demand.
Unlimited SNAs sure sounds nice, though not even close to realistic.

Would also love unlimited Cat7 certificates to go along with those SNAs.