FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong or Tokyo as a hub to fly around Asia with Avios
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:09 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Hong Kong or Tokyo as a hub to fly around Asia with Avios

I'm currently in the middle of making plans for a large trip around Asia. I haven't settled down on a timeframe yet. I intend to spend mostly Avios to travel Around Asia. I have approximately 705,000 Avios at the moment. My problem is that I tend to find more award space on JL flying to Tokyo than with CX flying to HK. Not sure if it's because demand for CX award space is higher or not. Anyways, I know redeeming Avios for flights with CX are great options to travel around Asia. Seems like a lot of the guides cover redemption out of HKG and not TYO. Personally, I do prefer HKG not because I don't like TYO, but because I've been to HKG many times in my life. I know how to get around and there seems to be greater hotel options to match my budget than TYO. I've been to Tokyo only once in my life and the last time I went (many years ago), it felt intimidating. I am multilingual, but unfortunately I don't know any Japanese. Regardless of where my base will be for approximately 3-4 weeks, I do intend to spend some time in both Hong Kong and Tokyo. This forum might not be the best place, but since it's about Avios, I decided to post it here. So what would you guys do if you're in my shoes?