FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:45 pm
BillBurn

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nothing stopping any hotel from seeing which Ambassador guests are coming in over the next 7 day period, rolling, and pre-assigning upgrades. No need to blame SNAs.
I think it's fair to blame SNAs for lower availability of check-in upgrades. This would logically be especially prevalent at resort hotels like the one @C17PSGR mentioned where most people are on vacation and likely looking to use SNAs.

SNAs are clearing 5 days out in many cases whereas most hotels don't even think about blocking out upgraded rooms for any incoming guests more than 24-48 hours out except in special circumstances (such as SNAs). Properties can't block out upgrades for Ambassador's 5+ days in advance of a stay as the revenue opportunity cost for them is clearly a lot higher.

Don't get me wrong, I like SNAs, in fact I think Ambassador's should get unlimited SNAs (part of my revamp plan for the Ambassador program) but I think it's undeniable that they aren't a good development for Ambassador's who are used to getting check-in upgrades to suites because now they have a lot more competition, especially at properties mostly likely to see high SNA demand.