FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:51 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by tom911
Does travel insurance routinely cover hotel award stays? How do they value the night? Rack rate? Price of miles? Some other number?
No. They don't. They should and base it off the ARV, but they won't do it thanks to the fine print. I had a complete disaster of a trip to South America over the winter holiday. I missed a connecting flight in the very beginning which caused me to miss out on Bolivia entirely. I bopped around Lima for a few days and then re-joined my SO for the flight to Cusco. Unfortunately, when we got to the JW Marriott, I had to do an about face for the US because my aunt had passed away. I told her to stay and finish off the journey, but she left early as well. I re-booked my return flight on UA miles since my original return was from EZE. I also used SkyPesos to get me out of BsAs when I missed my connexion at the beginning of the flight. Taxes and fees (including the 1000 SkyPesos I purchased to get that other award) were covered. The actual miles themselves were not. There were two separate claims related to this trip. One for my illness at the beginning of the trip and one for the death in my family. In theory, there is enough cushion to claim the ARV for the miles, because the contract wording is vague on this point. However, I think I've done enough damage for one year; especially, given how many years I've gone without a claim on my annual plan.