FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with early October NZ destination: Queenstown? Elsewhere?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:57 pm
as219

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Help with early October NZ destination: Queenstown? Elsewhere?

I've been doing a lot of reading and am still confused about this. In short, we have from October 7-12 (this is fixed) to spend in NZ and are trying to figure out how to plan it. Key considerations are:
  1. No hotel hopping! One destination optimal, would consider moving once but not twice.
  2. Plan is to rent a car and do day trips...so we want a place from which worthwhile day trips are possible.
  3. Needs to be near vineyards.
  4. We want to see nature and especially wildlife.
I think Queenstown hits all of these...but I'm concerned about the weather in early October. I read in some places this is "spring" and is beautiful, but elsewhere I read its definitely the off season and we risk bad weather. My wife is concerned Q-Town is all about extreme sports, but I get the impression you can certainly have a great time there without partaking. (I was also considering using Lake Taupo as a base from which to visit the surrounding area...but it seemed to me Q-Town is more dramatic.)

Given our considerations and the timing, do you think Queenstown is the right place to go? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your advice...