FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport Check on Domestic Connecting Leg After International Flight
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:50 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by glboisvert
I flew from MAD-PHL-RIC today. AA checked my passport when I checked in at Madrid and again when I boarded the plane, which I expected since I was on an international flight. After clearing customs in PHL, I was attempting to board my connecting flight to Richmond, but when the gate agent scanned my boarding pass a red screen popped up on her computer telling her to check my passport. I asked her about that, since passports aren't normally required for a domestic flight, let alone at the gate. But she said sometimes the computer randomly asked for it and that she needed to see it before I could board. Is that normal? I can understand wanting to see the passport on a domestic flight that is taken before an international flight, since it ensures that you have the right documents for the international flight that you are about to take. But why does AA care on the way back, especially after I've cleared customs and can travel as freely as any other domestic passenger?
There is NO legal requirement to show a passport for a domestic flight, and didn't find anything in AA's terms that would suggest that it is.
Maybe someone else can comment on this, but that sounds a bit odd