FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2017-2019).
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:44 pm
Pittie Pup

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Have an unbranded Amex Platinum for 14 months now. I have added one AU (my wife). I have never been charged a fee (either on the initial issuance or year anniversary) for the AU card, I have just been charged the $550 annual for the card. I called a few weeks before my yearly renewal date. I explained that while I enjoy the perks of the program I wasn't sure I would be renewing, especially with the new Centurion Lounge restrictions in place. I was transferred from the initial associate to another one who explained what offers I had redeemed and the ones I hadn't. Adding up there values to justify the yearly fee. The associate offered other card programs that may suit us better in the Amex family. I politely declined and said I would review further with my wife and make a decision in the next few days. The associate offered me a 50k MR offer with no spending requirements attached. I gladly accepted with the understanding that this offer would not be offered next year. The account had 112k spending in 11 months at year end as a data point reference.