FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ireland - I need some help on trip w/ my father please
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:34 am
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dingo
Is my impression of Ireland incorrect?
Yes and no. As an island, your impression is correct. However, as a country (Republic of Ireland), not necessary.

While I have not fully explored the country, based on my understanding and experience:

1. Dublin is relatively an urban city.

2. Many geological formations are up in the North of the Island of Ireland, which is formally known as Northern Ireland, U.K.

I guess there are two other options: 1. Hire a private car service to take us where we want to go on our time frames, or 2. Spend a few nights in Dublin and the rest of the trip in another city (I don't want to move hotels more than once on this short of a trip). Any thoughts on something like that?
I would say, in light of your father's age, just Dublin is fine.

FWIW, my likely routing on this would be CLT - LHR and then either a train or additional flight (most likely) into Dublin.
Highly not recommended for this routing.

CLT-DUB is generally cheaper than CLT-LHR. At the minimum, you can avoid APD. Also, flying to LHR means extra travel time (as you will overshot the Irish Island before reaching Great Britain). Unless you plan to going to any cities in the Great Britain as well, I don't see the need and hassle going that far.

FWIW3, we like checking out a museum or two or three with those being art as well as something kind of local and off the wall (the resistance museum in Amsterdam, cold war museum in Prague), we like popping into churches, we're not huge foodies (at all), and we enjoy having a pint or two and just talking.
Dublin will be your best choice. At least, you can have a pint of Guinness and a shot of Jameson. And you won't have difficulties finding famous and popular churches in Dublin as well.