FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:25 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I usually stay at the Soi 57 Marriott for various reasons, but for your circumstances the river would be better. I actually prefer the side of the river where the Shangri La is located and actually prefer that hotel although I have not stayed at the RO.

By market I assume you mean food market as opposed to flea market? I have been to several food markets selling everything from frogs to insects to exotic fruits and veggies as part of different cooking school programs. Ask at the hotel for a recommendation near where you are going to be as you tour during the day. IMO each are good experiences but none is worth going especially out of the way for, if that makes sense.

As for temples, when you are in Siem Reap there are several temples in and around town that are awesome. There is one along the river in town that has beautiful statues. There is one a half hour tuck-tuck ride south of the city that has an orphanage. Another on the edge of town has a human bone collection and there is one with a university attached that has chatty monks who are very interesting. I am in the process of moving but will see if I can find my travel notebooks for the names. If you lprepare a list of wats you want to visit you can hire a tuck-tuck to take you from one to another.

ADDED: The Wat mentioned above with the orphanage is not one of the tourist orphanages. If is not someplace tourists usually go. The tuk-tuk driver suggested it the day before because he thought I would find the monks interesting and the ride there a way to see how people live. The orphanage was separate but there were two young boys walking around who talked to the driver for a minute before he told me they wanted their picture taken. They asked a few questions about America which indicated they knew American TV, but they were not the "Mister, Mister, one dollar please" kids.

ADDED ADDED: Found pics on my FB page. Wat Bo (chatty monks) Wat Athvea (south of SR, not many tourists, may be where I was the orphans) and Wat Damnek (monestary).

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 29, 2019 at 9:00 pm