FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Resurrected: Young boy being groped over computer left in bag
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:56 pm
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Trying to keep this discussion narrowly focused on what happen to the boy that is this threads topic.

As I understand it, the boy sent his carry-on bag to the x-ray machine where his laptop was observed in his bag. That was the alarm, not explosive residue or anything else. The laptop in the bag generated the extra scrutiny and resulted in the pat down of the kid. Nothing of danger was discovered in or on the bag or laptop. In simple terms there was no need or reason for the abusive pat down.

If TSA policy directs a pat down in this situation then I would say that TSA is very misguided and needs some change. I seem to remember TSA bragging about Risk Based Security. Guess that went out the window!
“TSA allows for a pat-down of a teenage passenger, and in this case, all approved procedures were followed to resolve an alarm of the passenger’s laptop,” spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said in an email.

Again, the laptop alarmed.