FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATL Transfer in two separate tickets
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:29 am
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks all for your help and advise;

Originally Posted by guv1976
Given that you will be on two separate tickets, and will have to check your bags in at an AA ticket counter at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure time, I would give myself more time -- not less time -- to make the transfer at ATL. But does going via ATL yield the lowest total cost for both tickets? Have you priced things via other North American cities, like MIA, MCO, JFK, BOS, ORD, YYZ, YUL?
ATL or TPA is the only airports which has the lowest fares and a reasonable connection time for my specific travel date.
Unfortunately, none of the east coast destinations and Chicago & Detroit had the same low price. I haven't checked MCO as it would need a 5h+ wait time in FRA and I haven't also checked YYZ or YUL as I won't have a Canadian visa ( I require a visa due to my nationality ) for my travel dates.

Well, AA does have an informal "flat-tire" rule, so that if the OP were to miss his ticketed AA flight by an hour or two, he would likely be re-accommodated -- at no additional cost -- on AA's next available ATL-DCA flight. The problem, of course, is that the next available flight will not necessarily be on the same day!

And if the OP's LH flight were substantially delayed due to mechanical or personnel issues, he would be entitled to EC 261/2004 compensation -- which could go a long way to offsetting the cost of a last-minute ticket on a different carrier.
It looks like the OP, as a oneworld Sapphire elite member, is entitled to free same-day standby on AA flights -- no flat-tire rule or agent mercy necessary:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

​​​
I would probably book the later AA flight, and if I got through Immigration and Customs quickly enough, I would try to standby for the earlier AA flight.
Yes, I am probably going to buy the later AA flight if I pass through CBP quickly, I would try to go to the standby list for the earlier AA flight. Sometimes, a free same day confirmed change worked on AA for me when I requested it at one of the service desks at the Admirals Club.

Originally Posted by Often1
This is all about your risk tolerance. Nobody here can predict what will happen with your inbound flight on the day of travel. If it is delayed and you no show for your onwards ticket, you will either be required to purchase a new one at walk up prices or hope that some agent is merciful.

Typically an offline I-D connection at ATL would be 90 minutes. As a rule of thumb, I would allow 3x that or 4-1/2 hours.
Yes, I usually allow minimum 4h for this connection. I won't risk it to 2h30 min. It's impossible to estimate US CBP wait times. Btw, thanks for the advise.