FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Depression
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2004, 3:31 am
tokyotraveler

Programs: UA MP, Marriot R
Travel Depression

I must start off and say, i'm definately not the happiest person back home in Upstate NY, but who really is -- i'm like the "normal" person, fine, but of course there are things that stay in your mind and make you worry and think.

Since I arrived in Japan, besides my well discussed fear of getting lost, thus hindering my discovery of Japan, I've been pretty happy -- untill today. It's almost been a week that i've been out here and it's as if suddenly a huge weight has been put on my back and i've run into a brick wall. I was talking to someone earlier and they mentioned that any trip over a couple days long HAS to be taken with a companion or else it really gets to you -- maybe that is it. Maybe it's the longing to discover Japan but my fear of being lost hinders this. But I think it's the loneliness -- we all need to have someone to hold...be close to. Maybe it's just homesickness....

I really wish I could pinpoint this -- I do hope that this feeling subsides and does not intensify itsself. I could go on and on about this subject but do not want to risk boring all you so I will go straight to the question.

Has anyone else experianced this "travel depression" and if so, how do you cope with it when you are by yourself, homesick and can't even hear the voice of the people close to you or the person you love and surrounded by people you cannot communicate with.....?

Thanks in advance.