FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:42 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Yes, it was an AC call centre agent. She specifically asked basic, standard, flex, etc. and I said standard. The price quoted was as expected for Standard based on AC.com (which wouldn't let me book the actual ticket or I would have saved a lot of hassle).

I checked the confirmation a few hours later. They used the 24-hour cancellation policy to cancel and rebook, but inventory had changed and they weren't able to re-book me on the original itinerary, which included an LX flight, without booking a higher fare class that increased the price by almost 100%. I guess if it was an AC inventory issue they could have opened it up to fix their mistake but since it was LX's inventory that disappeared there was no way to fix it. So I accepted a different itinerary on all-AC that was similar in price, but gets me home at 10pm instead of 3pm.

Still better than turning up at the airport, or in 2 weeks trying to make a change, only to find I had Basic.

So, does this mean that we can't trust AC reservation centre agents to know the difference when a customer asks for Standard and not Basic?

Does this mean those less familiar with the AC branded fare stuff will end up with the wrong tickets, and the limitations that result?

Hmmmmm.