FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:40 am
RichardInSF
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevebintley
I’ve been wanting to visit Tokyo for so long and have finally snapped some scarce award availability with BA to travel end of September. Except now I’ve realised it’s during the Rugby World Cup so most of the hotels I’d have liked to stay in are well out of my price range. I have however managed to find three which are alright, but they are all in a very similar location as well as similar price, so I’m torn. Does anyone have any experience of the following (I couldn’t find reference to a couple throughout the thread):

The Capitol,
The Imperial or,
Hotel New Otani Executive House Zen.

They’re probably all below the standards of most under discussion here but like I said I’ve been priced out on the dates! All are in Chiyoda City and I’d be staying in one of their standard rooms, for three nights. I like somewhere to be modern but also have a sense of culture, rather than be a clinical business hotel, but breakfast doesn’t really matter since I rarely eat in a morning. Some recent city centre hotels I’ve particularly liked and stuck in my mind are Pan Pacific Yangon, Grand Park City Hall Singapore, Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg, The Singular Santiago, The Plaza Tirana, The Langham Hong Kong and Okura Prestige Bangkok; hopefully helps give a sense of my taste!

Any experience or steer would be appreciated – the opinions of you lot mean more than continuing to trawl though hundreds more reviews on TA! Thank you!
Chiyoda is a prefecture in central Tokyo; the location is fine, you will be near either Kokkai-Gijidomae or Akasaka-Mitsuke metro station and from there can get wherever you want to go.

The Capitol Tokyu hotel was remodeled and I haven''t been there since it re-opened. The Imperial hotel is a classic older hotel that many like. The New Otani has a wide variety of rooms from tiny to nice. All of them would likely be regarded as upscale, not luxury, hotels (with the possible exception of the Imperial). Note that in Japan, you will be rarely upgraded at check-in. You will get the room you paid for and nothing more, so be prepared for that. Entry level rooms can be quite small.

You'll do fine at any of these hotels, but again, these may not quite meet the levels we normally discuss in this forum. Let's see what others think.