FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Venice ... in July
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:41 pm
obscure2k
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am going to respectfully disagree with some of the opinions expressed by Perche re: Cannaregio. I have stayed in that area many times, and it can be a true oasis of tranquility. Although, it may encompass areas which are commercial as well as the dreaded Strada Nova, it also encompasses a very lovely, residential area of Venice, one rarely seen by tourists. This was our experience when staying at Dei Dogi (now a Marriott), and later several times at Ai Mori. Both hotels are very close to the Madonna del Orto Church with its magnificent collection of Tintorettos. As well, Santa Maria dei Miracoli Church is also nearby. Now, having traveled to Venice with young children, I know that visiting churches would not be at the top of their agenda. They would enjoy walking along the Rio in front of Ai Mori and seeing the variety of boats passing by. A stroll along Misercordia (where our friends have a beautiful apartment )will be a ten minute walk to a restaurant which I am sure your 8 year old children will enjoy; Vino de Gigio. As well, there are other nice trattorias in the area. We also like Bea Vita, which is closer to the lagoon. Not necessary to take long walks if staying in Cannaregio. There is a vaporetto stop conveniently located well before the train station #1 Vaporetto or the #41 which stops right in front of Madonna del Orto.
The hotel where we stay, Ai Cavalieri is about 1 minute away from Campo Santa Marina which magically turns Castello in to Cannaregio . If you can find a nice apartment in the area of the Ghetto in Canareggio, you will be near markets. There is a particularly nice market at the very end of Strada Nova where you see the lagoon which sells a good selection of prepared food as well as good fresh food if you want to do some cooking. Although, the Rialto may not be where you want to dine, but if you have an apartment and want to cook, it will be paradise. The variety of seafood and produce is breathtaking. Our kids loved wandering around the market early in the morning at the time we rented an apartment.