FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:35 am
exploreaswego

Originally Posted by helvetic
I think it's just a matter of Paris syndrome. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome)

When your expectations are titillated to the extreme in every single travel blog, promotional video, influencer instragram, etc. and you show up and see that it's really not that special… it's an understandable reaction.
Yea, I agree with your POV here. Not of a lot of people (me included) have been to such exclusive properties priced at 2-3k per night. Having to factor in the property only opened during late 2016, shy of only 3 years but had already garnered so much attention, I thought it would be interesting to share his perspective and actual the video of the room that he filmed which actually looks VERY different from glossed photos from certain IG and bloggers reviews.

It all boils down to perspective and how one perceives value, I personally for a fact would never shell out $2-3k per night for a BV based on the what is shown in the video, given what other luxury resorts in the location offer, you can score those crazy pool villas with water slides on another island for the price. That view of the private pool and garden also looks something like a villa I can get in Bali or Thailand for probably 1/10 of the price. Though it might be in a really exclusive location and definitely is a destination to experience once in a lifetime, we perceive more value if you get options to venture and experience local food and cultures. Then again, we might probably just pay for OWV upgrades before our arrival. I don't think we would want to stay in a landed villa after seeing the video on the hard product it offers.

I also do get the feeling the blogger does sound like he has a sense of entitlement expecting more upgrades or higher premium freebies other than the free champagne bottle he received. But I have to point out, the Maldives is targeted mostly for honeymooners or families, if I were to stay in a private villa for 5 nights on my own without company, I would have been bored out of my mind. Well, anyway I personally think it would be interesting to see him write a post about his experience.