FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:08 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I realize that this wasn't aimed at me, but I go to Maui for the weather, the beach, and because I love the HR Maui. I tolerate the food (actually, mostly I just eat bar food at the HR, which is pretty good for bar food, and is fine as far as diet goes for a couple of days)

Honolulu is the opposite. Waikiki is crowded, the Hyatts are not great, but the food is amazing. Great Japanese food everywhere, and good local food too.

I like Kauai too but getting there always seems to be expensive and a hassle compared to HNL and OGG. I will try to go back soon, though... it's been a few years.
The food is definitely better on Oahu. But that makes sense: more people, more locals. The food is also better value on the Big Island and Kauai (although my extensive Kauai experience is getting dated).

As far as weather goes, I had bad weather luck in January and February in Maui. Like I barely got to snorkel, and lots of rain. I assume it would have been the same elsewhere in Hawaii. I know people go to Hawaii to escape bad weather elsewhere in those months, but if it's a "once in a lifetime experience," I would avoid Maui in January and February. The weather is a bit risky. In contrast, I've had great weather luck over the years in March and April.