FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on deplaning etiquette?
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:08 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by ozone
What IS the proper etiquette in this position? I once had to put my bag about 4-5 rows back of me (I was in E+). It was too far back to ask for someone to get it for me. So I popped up quickly, got it down, apologized to the person right under the overhead compartment, and stood in line at that point, where the bag had been, to exit with that further back row (and grab my coat on my way past my own seat). I got yelled at by someone who said I was bothering people and taking up their space in the aisle. I think their idea was that I should have waited for the whole plane to empty, and then go get it. I admired their self-righteousness and wondered what else I could or should have done.
Recently I had a guy in the row behind me who boarded the plane late, had more than his share of carry-ons, and managed to put three things in three different overhead bins including one a few rows up from his seat. As soon as the plane parks at the gate, he thinks he has to collect all his stuff immediately even though we're in Y and we weren't gonna start moving anytime soon. The guy gets his first couple items down, reaching over my shoulder/head to grab one of them, then unbelievably he says excuse me and starts pushing his way up towards the front of the plane, saying his bag is up front. I don't like to make a scene, so I make way for him and apparently others do the same and he pushes his way a couple rows up so he can grab his third stuff. The whole time the line's not moving at all. It's somewhat common to see people push their way back to retrieve stuff from further back. It's odd and unacceptable to do that when the stuff is further up front.