FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:53 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mayday23
I'm a new 1K. I thought it could change a paid flight for free (no change fee), but believe i am wrong.

I have an economy ticket (W) from SMF - ORD on Thursday at 210p (UA 1712). I went to change to the same flight next day (Friday 210p) and it was $366. $166 in fare difference + $200 change fee.

I called united 1K and the agent said i needed to change my flight within 24 hrs of departure AND the new flight must also be in that 24 hr window. So I said if I called WED night, could I change it without the $200 fee and he said "No, because the new flight is Friday at 2p and not within the 24 hours."

Is that the correct interpretation?
Do you fly Alaska? If so, that may cause confusion, UA has different policies even for top tier 1Ks.

And yes, agent was correct - you have to within 24 hours of BOTH original flight AND flight you want to change to @:-)

What you want to do is virtually impossible. You cannot change to the flight you desire until Thursday at 2:10 p.m., at which point you should be in your seat and the door is closed or about to be closed.