FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:56 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Brostman
I have read in other threads that LH does not open up *A award availability for premium classes on long haul routes until about 15 days prior to flight date.
that is demonstrably false. Late last year I used UA miles to book 4 seats in business class about 7 months before travel. That being said I would not be surprised if LH (like UA) releases more seats within 2 weeks of ETD. However that is too late for most of us who need certainty when planning family vacations.

Originally Posted by SFO777
And since SFO is a hub and a large market, award travel from SFO is not as good as from other markets. You'll have to be flexible and try other west coast gateways like SEA, YVR or DEN. Then try to improve as departure date approaches and last minute award seats are released.
+1. SFO is unfortunately horrible for finding saver awards in TATL business class. Too few flights and too many elites plus it’s just a very popular inbound destination for visitors. However you can often find flights at other gateways - even LAX. Also PHX and consider ORD as well.

Originally Posted by JPG3392
It's late to be trying to book saver award tickets for summer transatlantic travel, but you might try looking for flights on Swiss via BOS or EWR and on Austrian via IAD or EWR. You can get to Germany or very close to Germany (Austria; Switzerland) without using LH. In any case, award flights using United miles can only be booked through United.
+1. Way too late to be looking for saver awards for this summer. And yes I still see sporadic saver inventory on LX and OS (and LOT). Also check via ORD and LAX though you may need to buy positioning flights.