FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:09 am
MaldivesFreak

Dinner Guide

@Jimwagner2

Thanks for letting me know your dates. Here is my suggestion;

Wednesday: Rangali Bar (relax and get the feel of the place)

Thursday: Mandhoo
> Tip: Get there early and grab the corner table on the deck furthest from the restaurant entrance (the northernmost table)

Friday: Koko Grill

Saturday: Champagne & Lobster beach dinner
> Tip: This and the other beach dinner, Fisherman's BBQ, are available without alcohol if you do not drink and the prices are lower to reflect this

Sunday: Cheese & Tapas or Cheese Fondue
> Tip: These are usually only available on Wednesdays & Sundays and Mondays & Saturdays respectively but if you want to change the days they can sometimes accommodate you

Monday: Maldivian Night. This is a buffet with a great selection of Maldivian cuisine and in a different (and much more private) location than the main buffet at Atoll Market which is situated near reception. Note that if this is rained out, it will be held at Atoll Market

Tuesday: Vilu. Get there early and grab the corner table on the part of the deck that juts out over the water
> Tip: Try the Chocolate Fondant, it's an absolute must!

Wednesday: Rangali Bar or IVD(In Villa Dining) if you are staying in an OWV(Over Water Villa)
> Tip: If you missed the Champagne & Lobster dinner on Saturday due to the weather, you can book the Fisherman's BBQ on this day so that is why I've kind of kept it 'open' by recommending Rangali Bar or IVD

Thursday: Ithaa
> Tip: Try to be standing closest to the stairs when you're about to be taken down by the staff (everyone goes downstairs into the restaurant together) and grab the table in the middle on the right hand side. There are 4 tables on the LHS and 3 on the RHS and so the middle one on the RHS is the best one

Friday: Sunset Grill (I always put this at the end. You'll know why once you get there).
> Tip: Get there early for the sunset and and grab the closest table to the shore facing the sunset / Rangali Island

Dining events and locations not included:
1. Ufaa (see below for suggestion)
2. Private Beach Dinner
> Tip: It's better to have this on a day other than a Wednesday or a Saturday as you have an extra choice of location. The Champagne & Lobster and Fisherman's BBQ beach dinners take up one of the locations for the Private Beach Dinner
3. Wine Pairing Dinner

Other tips:
> Plan for lunch on one of your days and have it at Mandhoo so you can watch the fish feeding. Especially good if you have kids
> If you are having a Congratulations Dinner (marriage certificate less than a year old is required) it will be held at Sunset Grill (previously held at Mandhoo)
> If you want to try Chinese cuisine and don't want to use a dinner slot, you can go there for lunch any day except Wednesday
> If you want to dine at Ithaa and don't want to use a dinner slot, you can go there for lunch any day except Tuesday
> Prices for beach dinners with no alcohol are appoximately $50-$60 less per person

Restaurant opening hours:
> Mandhoo is closed on Mondays for dinner but open every day for lunch, Vilu is closed on Wednesdays and Ufaa is closed on Wednesdays (both lunch and dinner), Koko Grill is closed on Saturdays and Ithaa is now closed on Tuesdays. Sunset Grill is closed on Tuesdays most of the year (see below for details). Keep this in mind should you want to change the above plan
> Most of the restaurants where table selection is important (see above) are open at 1830 so this is the time to arrive to get the table of your preference

FEI:
* The Congratulations Dinner is now held at Sunset Grill. Previously held at Mandhoo
* Good news: Vilu used to be closed on Wednesdays and Saturdays but is now only closed on Wednesdays
* Bad news (for some at least): Ithaa is now closed every Tuesday whereas it used to be open every day
* More bad news: Sunset Grill is now closed on Tuesdays from the beginning of February to late November every year. So from late November until the end of January it's open 7 days a week. This is presumably to give the chefs there and Ithaa (which it also cooks for) a day off.
* Ithaa also has a new menu coming (perhaps due to the criticism here and on TA?) and will have seasonal pricing for both lunch and dinner. I will soon receive an email with info on this but since the new menu has not been finalized I don't know exactly how specific it will be. Will post back when I have it

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 25, 2019 at 11:54 am Reason: Added info