FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:10 pm
myperks

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

That to me is rather the key, as opposed to the hotel zone BS. Simply put, IF AND WHEN Marriott honours PA bookings made prior to March 4, then whichever point level shown at time of booking should be honoured, even if it’s already 5th in the hotel zone. The custome RELIED on Marriott website and app to show the correct points required and that should be it. Now if Marriott refuses to honour the PA bookings made before March 5 at the old point level, that’s an entirely different battle and issue. BUT again if Marriott decides to honour old PA bookings, then they should honour them at the point level shown at booking, plain and simple. This is simply a rule of commerical reality - you don’t freaking expect a customer to check for freaking hotel zone when making a point booking, and take that into consideration when making the PA booking.

So the hotel time zone BS I won’t buy. If an agent refuses to honour the PA booking based on hotel time zone, my answer would be well that’s Marriott freaking IT problem, and I shouldn’t pay for it. It’s somewhat analogous to buying things in a supermarket— if good is labeled as $5, then at cashier it goes up to $6 after a barcode scan, then I still can buy it at $5 because that ought to be basic law of commerce. Something about the offer-acceptance rule in contract law I think.

anyway, just my rant on this entire hotel time zone BS.
While I fully agree with you and without going into the debate of what Marriott should do to make customers whole and without the “I’m leaving this joint for Hyatt”, if you don’t have a screen print of the reservation at the time of reservation showing the lower price point (and I know for a fact it happened to a couple of my friends), Marriott is not gonna budge, at least in my friends case. However, one of my friends is smart enough to do a screen print of the confirmation showing confirmation and point value (the whole Mar 4 booking a hotel in Mar 5 time zone already) and it was rectified after several email exchanges.

The crappy part of this is that some points advance reservations don’t generate email confirmations.

Again, use the research email will get you better results than any phone agents, at least for our group of titaniums.