FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:54 pm
JPG3392

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
No current status on UA, but had accumulated a pile of miles. I have never booked TATL award seats before. The MileagePlus' award chart specifies the number of miles needed for UA and *A tickets, but I am wondering if award seats are really available on LH.. Looking to use up some miles for a summer trip. Problaby SFO-FRA or LAX-FRA (maybe EWR-FRA). I haven't tried booking anything yet on UA (although on some flights EWR to BGO,United.com says that there are NOT ANY award economy seats available - which doesn't make any sense unless UA has changed its policy of allowing booking of award seats available IF ANY seats are available for purchase - Can entire economy sections be sold out already for July flights?). I have heard/read that booking award tickets on LH using UA miles can be difficult. What is the best process for trying to book award seats on LH? Calling LH? Using their website? UA's website? Does LH make award seats available to airline partner members months in advance? Weeks? Is it necessary to use ExpertFlyer or similar to find award seats on LH?
It's late to be trying to book saver award tickets for summer transatlantic travel, but you might try looking for flights on Swiss via BOS or EWR and on Austrian via IAD or EWR. You can get to Germany or very close to Germany (Austria; Switzerland) without using LH. In any case, award flights using United miles can only be booked through United.