FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled Flight w. Confirmed GPU
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, there are plenty of reports of UA refusing to rebook in J on a partner. They certainly have no contractual obligation to do so.

And even if they do, the partner will sometimes refuse to transport in J because the underlying coupon is for economy travel.
That is a peculiar assumption. Certainly an upgraded ticket on UA was originally issued in economy class. If the 016 ticket is then reissued as INVOL into the new premium booking class on the new carrier/routing, there is no reason to refuse transport. You're talking about a situation where an agent books a passenger into a premium booking class on another carrier (makes a reservation), but fails to reissue the ticket in the matching premium booking class thereby leaving the passenger with a flight coupon mismatched to the reservation. Of course another carrier is likely to refuse transport in business class notwithstanding a courtesy reservation when UA says "we'll pay you for economy" on the 016 ticket.

Originally Posted by airoli
Ah. Well, in that case it's not a question of whether LX is "strict" or not.

LX will simply transport the pax in the cabin that the original operator - UA - has rebooked the pax in. Same with any other airline.

If UA is willing to do (UA Y tix + GPU) = LX revenue Biz class, then the pax will fly in Business.

If UA does (UA Y tix + GPU) = LX revenue Economy class plus a good wish, then the pax will fly in Economy.
Not exactly. The flight coupon needs to be reissued into the correct booking class. If they don't reissue at all, or reissue in Y, a Y seat is in the passenger's future notwithstanding any "rebooking" UA does for the passenger, as in the form of a reservation in J. If the coupon is reissued in J, that passenger is good to go.

Rebook Reservation ≠ Reissue Ticket.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
One time when a LH flight was late into FRA, causing me to miss a UA TATL flight on which I had been upgraded, the LH service desk at FRA did put me on a later LH flight in business. I didn't ask, they just did it. Had they not done so, I would have called UA and tried to get onto the next UA flight in business.
Lufthansa is a different animal. They seem to take responsibility for their own delays and cough up revenue business reservations/tickets when they misconnect upgraded J passengers. They seem to treat confirmed upgrades the same as a confirmed revenue seats for disserviced passengers. I think this has to do with EU rules.

Originally Posted by FreFly
Is there an official policy for cancelled flights with confirmed GPUs, or is it up to individual agents? I had a situation when a 1K agent claimed PZ bucket has to be available, and refused to rebook me into business as only revenue space was available, even for the next day. I hanged up and called again, and another agent rebooked me into revenue J on LH for the same day. I suspect the agents have a lot of discretion, and wonder what are the limits.
Seems to be agent discretion-- if they have a policy it isn't clear from the myriad of experiences reported here.