FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA forces POS to credit card billing country -- restricts which site/card can be used
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:06 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
well-know problem. Search is your friend.

Your solution is likely https://www.expedia.ca/ or similar OTAs which will process your reservation in CAD.
its not a ‘problem’, but the way that united enforces point of sale. Most airlines do this by simply using the country of the departure city, charging in that local currency, and allowing you to use a card from virtually any country. UA does it by billing address. Not sure why, or what the benefit of doing it that way is - there must be some for UA to continue to use it. But it does bring exactly the problem described by the OP, which means the prices can change, more than just based on exchange.

Correct that an OTA should process it just fine. Expedia.ca should price in CAD using CA POS and also process a US card.

Have bought 3 round trips. YYZ-HUB(ORD/SFO)-HNL direct on UA website in the last 9 months. Mix of direct search and Google flights. No issues. US citizen, US credit card. When using Google Flights, the display comes back in CA $ when sent to UA.com. . Select the drop down at the top for North America//US English. Reprices to US$. Proceed with purchase... never a problem. Are you selecting US/English?
not sure the relevance of this. OP wants to pay with a Canadian price on a US card. If you start searching on United.ca and enter United States in the billing address, will reload on United.com with in USD using prices on US POS and only accept a US card. Google flights will route you to .ca based on the YYZ departure, but UA will take you back to the US site when trying to use a US card, and price in US. Standard UA website behavior. In fact, you are having essentially the same thing done to you that OP is having done to them, except they want the Canadian price that saves them ~$10. UAs site does t allow it, probably because they don’t want the OP doing what hey are trying to do.

Originally Posted by lsquare
There are a few websites that says Expedia doesn't give 5x back on the Platinum and I'm better off buying direct from the airline. I guess my question is how often does Expedia or Orbitz pass the charge to the airline to process so that I get the maximum amount of points?
OTAs aren’t leaving processing to the airlines so the passenger gets more points - they are doing it to save $. When United (or whatever carrier) processes the charge, they pay the card processing fees. Instead of the agent. So they will let the airlines process it every time. Airlines still allow this, since it’s an incentive for the agents to use their carrrier (guess what would happen if AA tells Expedia they will process, and UA says they have to do it themselves...who is the agent going to try to convince you to book with).