FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:05 am
Arghmeinaugen

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You seem to be reading the T&Cs very selectively. Emphasis mine.

Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.

Those don't say that every suite at every property is part of the available upgrade inventory.

And here's SPG's language from 2002, direct from the T&Cs. Emphasis again mine.

Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites (such as, but not limited to, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom) are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property.
I don't think that this is selective reading. For me Marriott are trying to redefine the word "available".