FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:51 am
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

In this case it’s a bit of both. I’ve seen people demanding free breakfast at Design properties, asking for extra amenities or points if the hotel is near capacity so they won’t be upgraded, just demanding suites, etc. For whatever reason, this pushiness seems to be more common from the Marriott side, but it’s entirely possible that it’s people who behaved like that who historically got the most out of the programme.
Well .... there's a difference between asking for benefits that are available under the program and asking for things that aren't program benefits. And, of course, at least some legacy SPG properties had gamed the system with designating a couple of rooms as "standard suites."

I also don't think there is much of a disconnect between suites available for sale on the website vs suites actually vacant and available to be given to a guest. In all my years of FT, I can only remember one poster complaining that he had booked a suite and didn't get it (I think it was a name of the room issue). If there was such a disconnect, we'd have dozens of posts from FTers who booked a suite and found it wasn't available at check in.

So, if a suite is available on the website, I'll ask and show them the website. It's amazing how often they say no, then when I ask again, there is furious clicking and stepping into the back, and come back with the answer that a manager has cleared the room.

That being said, I don't think a platinum can expect suite upgrades much over the year. One hopes that the property will upgrade those who spend 100+ nights a year first, before Titanium or Platinum. That's certainly how it worked pre 8/18 at legacy Marriott properties, although the SPG program really only had one higher tier that was super easy to achieve.

And, I'm fine with Hilton properties but I've never had a suite upgrade as a long term Gold or for the period where I was a Diamond.