FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:54 pm
exploreaswego

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Your Hilton upgrade record is pretty impressive - in 4 years as a Diamond member earned on dollars spent I’ve only ever had one suite upgrade.
I'm surprised too, I made into Diamond last year with Hilton due to the whole merger mess with Star-Riott, I chose to completely avoid Marriott stays for the whole 3rd and 4th quarter, and tbh I only had 1 suite upgrade which is the Hilton in BKK to a junior suite for 1 night. Through all my stays even with WA and Conrad, suite upgrades are almost unheard of, even when I pressed for one in Conrad BKK, but I understand they were undergoing construction, so I rather have a quiet room.

As I made it to Titanium before the 3rd quarter, I had about 3-4 decent suite upgrades. They are mostly full service hotels, like Marriotts, Westin, Autograph Collections. Some are massive with plenty of inventories, some are small like Tribute Collections - I'm going to name it, the Zachary Hotel sitting beside the famous Wriggly Field treated us very nicely and amazed at how big their junior suites were that comes with an outdoor terrace facing the stadium, it really truly varies. I wouldn't bother when I'm at limited service brands like four points or courtyards. I tend to read TA by searching the word "upgrade" on the property before I choose my property. And chances are if you see the word "upgrade" appears 30-50x in reviews, your likelihood of dealing with a very generous property to Elites is going to be quite reliable. These days, GM all use TA as sort of like a benchmark for their service, and as a frequent traveler, you should too. Suite upgrades are tough, as there are so many prerequisite conditions, such as how many plat and above elites checking in the same day as you, how much suite properties they have open for comp upgrades etc. It's always a delicate game and there is no guarantee, and I honestly believe it works the same across all other loyalty programs. I have still yet to try Hyatt, but their footprint and cost usually don't work for my travel pattern.