FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:33 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen
just hoping to get some clarity. I travel for business, easily clock up 70 nights a year. Before I converted to SPG, I held Hilton Gold and Intercon Gold or whatever the lower level elite was. Every time I got suite upgrades when I was on business, but more importantly I was certain that I could book the lowest priced room and be guaranteed a suite when I was travelling with my wife and kids.

Since moving to Marriott as a Platinum Elite (converted from SPG), I have not had a single suite upgrade. When you look on the Marriott website it says that multiple suites are available, but there is always an excuse (the website is incorrect, these are for locals). Now, when I'm on my own, it doesn't bother me, but what is the point of earning this status if I can't get a decent upgrade when travelling with my family.
Sorry, but no program GUARANTEES suite upgrades, especially at the roughly 75 night level. Folks in special unpublished levels (Starwood owners? Friends of Bill Marriott?) might have this privilege and there's a chance that it's part of certain (very few) corporate contracts, but to guarantee a suite, you need to reserve one or use a program like FHR/Virtuoso that in some circumstances at some properties might be able to confirm a suite upgrade at the time of booking (as Hyatt does for their top tier elites for four stays per year, based on inventory availability in the right category).