FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fare Buckets Query
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:13 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The fare buckets have wide price ranges, so it's possible that an expensive I could be more than a cheap R. Most booking tools including BA.com take care of that for you so you need never see this.

Fare buckets decay by two factors - sold inventory (so how many seats already sold) and anticipated future sales. If BA knows it will sell 10 high cost tickets in the 5 days before departure it had better make sure it doesn't cannibalise this by selling too many cheap seats now. BA is fairly sharp in this area but it is entirely possible that bucket I will open up again. All it would need is a few days where the sales aren't as high as expected - and what happened at the exact same time last year is a key but not sole feature. However I note the ET buckets look to be selling well too, so that's another complication so it's not looking hopeful. And if it is the beginning of April that would be a very different scenario to the end of April.