FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disaster - missed flight. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:54 am
kaffir76

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Angry

Originally Posted by Weez
The insurance policy says even if the missed connection is a different booking it should be covered. The insurance company says that since we didn’t get stranded in Copenhagen it’s not covered, but the underwriters will consider it. I expected it to be declined because that’s just my experience with travel insurers - they always say no initially!
I am sorry that you missed your flight to SYD. It must have been heart breaking.
If I understand the situation correctly, that means you are still in LON?
All travel insurance companies & policies have different variations when it comes to T&C and compensation. In this case, since the ins. co. said that you didn't get stranded in CPH, I assume that there will be no payout from that but most definitely do try to appeal.
However, you were stranded in LON so you should be able to claim that from them + perhaps BA?
It won't amount to the £2,000 that you spent on the tickets unless you have a very comprehensive policy with high payouts (and high premiums - I don't)
I'm not an expert in travel ins. but from my own experiences :
I've not had any major claims for missed long haul flights but I did claim for medical treatment, one missed short flight from BKK & missed luggage several times. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with the claims after I submitted all the documentation that they asked for. My ins. company has been good to me.
Perhaps then it is time to review your travel ins. co. for future travels if they are unwilling to help or make compensation in this instance.
Good luck and I hope your find a solution very soon.

p/s I have a similar trip to USA next month which requires me to position to CMB & I have put in a 5-6 hour transit in CMB just to be safe - this is a sobering lesson for all travelers who position to other cities to partake in the QR promo fares (I am not looking fwd to spending that much time in CMB though )