FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:40 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bruinfan90
Well, since David Noble seems to be able to see award space that nobody else can find, I'll just provide another example of American's Through Award Fare restriction so that the discussion can focus on the actual restriction at work, rather than the specific example I provided earlier.

AA > BB > CC ... DEN > CLT > FLL (1 ticket, 9/6/2019)

AA > BB ... Flight #1957 is available at the standard 12,500 MileSAAver award cost
BB > CC ... Flight #469 is available at the standard 12,500 MileSAAver award cost

AA >> CC ... The combined flights are only available as an AAnytime award at a listed cost of 20,000

As I pointed out previously, these restrictions are all over the place in the American schedule. I can find them on just about any route through a hub city. It's no longer possible to piece together available segments to create a valid MileSAAver award ticket. If revenue management has not assigned a Through Award Fare for the specific flight combination, no MileSAAver award can be issued, even if each nonstop segment has MileSAAver seats open/available.
I realised that my search for the flights that you wanted were for 9th September rather than the 6th - regardless it proves ( along with someone else's indication on buisness awards ) that there is no issue with that routing , just that there is availability issues

Indeed AA1957 on 6th shows on EF as being T7 as is AA469
For DEN-FLL via CLT , the availability is T0 on both of the flights, so indeed, no milesaver award available

This is nothing more than married segment availability and not some new restriction called "award available fare". It may be that this is term it is giving to customers about the restriction, but it isn't anything new. If you want to fly from A-C , you need to search for A-C to get the correct availability ; cannot just take A-B and then add B-C

Returning to CLT-CAE via STL on 6th September
CLT-STL shows T7 on AA858
STL-CAE shows T4 on AA5602
For STL-CAE via STL both AA858 and AA5602 show as T0

Again this is just no availability for the through journey and so cannot be booked as a milesaver

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 22, 2019 at 4:46 pm