FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refused Priority Security at HND
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:19 am
snaxmuppet

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
What are you looking from this thread? Are you just looking for validation of your actions or are you looking for guidance on future action?
I thought that it was the latter but this post suggests that it is the former.

Expecting a modicum of cultural sensitivity is not unreasonable. Nobody expects anyone to read a 10 volume précis of cultural étiquette for all countries that one travels through even for a few hours but I would have thought are a certain number of themes and potential flashpoints that it would not be unreasonable for expect the average international traveler to have some basic awareness of. It is not exactly unknown that confrontation and loss of face are one of those potential flashpoints in many Asian cultures. When one has insufficient familiarity with the local culture, it is therefore probable to err on the side of caution and be aware that confrontation or directly calling into question the judgment of someone (for instance by appealing to their superior) is something that you would probably want to avoid unless it was on a crucially important matter that could not be avoided.

Most of us make cultural mistakes at some point when traveling. I certainly have. The question is not whether I was right or wrong at the time, whether there were reasons for me to act the way I did or not but rather what to take from it for the future. developing caution around certain themes. And if this thread helps you develop an awareness of potential cultural pitfalls when traveling internationally, I would have thought that it would be rather more important and positive for you than what a bunch of strangers on the internet may or may not think of actions that you might have taken in the past and that you cannot change anyway.
I don't want anything from this thread now... I got what I posted for. I posted because I felt that I was incorrectly refused priority security at HND and thought that this was wrong and I wanted to ask if this was or was not correct and that is pretty much what I asked for in my OP. I got the answer... I was wrong. Thank you for putting me straight.

However, because certain people decided to make assumptions and also to start insulting me by calling me a DYKWIA I have started to push back. All I wanted was the answer to my question but I seem to have been treated like some kind of naughty boy and told off for not considering Japanese culture and for acting like a DYKWIA and so it has turned into some kind of argument over nothing to do with the OP.

I do and did not want anyone to tell me I was right. I am happy that on this occasion I screwed up a bit and I admit I could have handled it better myself and will do in future. However, I don't think it fair that people start accusing me of being a DYKWIA without actually being there. At no time were voices raised nor did I show any loud or aggressive behaviour. I simply said I thought she was wrong as I thought I had priority security as I was BA silver/OW Sapphire. That is not DYKWIA behaviour and yes, I got cross and felt insulted that anyone would accuse me of that without knowing me and without being there.

Also, it is worth pointing out that was the normal line not so long I wouldn't even have challenged it. In fact, I checked in at the Economy check in desk even though there was a Business class check in round the corner because there was no one waiting. I am not a status snob and I resent people suggesting I am.

I have taken on all the comments made though. Thank you. I shall be more culturally sensible in future if I can and next time I am refused something like this I shall return to the check in desk (if poss) where there are always English speaking people to help explain. So I got what I wanted from the post and I hope others reading will see past the insults thrown at me and get this useful info from it too.

Can we put this to bed now please?