FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:18 am
tragg99

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You can try looking on the Qantas website (there is no U in Qantas!!!!) for availability. You have to sign up for an account, but you don't need miles to search, I think. Not necessarily the same as AA availability but if you see it in both places at least you could be pretty confident it is real.

Right now I see PE availability on QF74 SFO-SYD on 30 Jun, QF56 LAX-BNE on 1 Jul & 3 Jul. No J availability.

Other options with AA miles in J could be found on HA (through HNL) or FJ (Through NAN). Not as good a J product but still better than PE.
Thank you!

Right now, on AA's website, the only Premium economy I see for those itineraries is SFO-SYD on 30th for 155k miles. At that point, I'd be better off with the sole AA flight LAX-SYD for 175k miles. Unless there is some other way to book those tickets using AA miles.

Thanks for your suggestion for the other options. I am uncertain how I would go about booking them using AA miles, though. AA's website does show a HA flight award for 65k from HNL to SYD (which I did indeed place on hold). But the flight is at 7:30 in the morning, making the difficulty and expense of getting to HNL on a separate ticket (and likely getting a hotel for the night before) start to defeat the purpose of using miles.

I feel like people are referring to some kind of method of booking these tickets that I can't figure out. I have googled extensively, lol, but that isn't working.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As posts above LAX-SYD is the hardest.
Other airports SFO/DFW - BNE/MEL may or may not have more availability. AKL worth a try

And now AA has married segment award restrictions. XXX-LAX-SYD may have award availability, where as LAX-SYD may not
More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

And the opposite:----> AAdvantage MileSAAver: “Through Award Fares”, a New (March 2019)

It is not easy getting business class awards USA<---->Australia
(I am looking for Aust/NZ to USA in late May - early June. Have a business award flight back 24 June DFW-SYD-MEL)

[color="Silver"][Maybe if your spelling improved Qantas (without a u ) may have awards] @:-)
Thanks!

Yes, I had heard Australia was difficult. I was thrilled to see availability when I began to search. But it appears I was hoodwinked.

I tried every combination of the cities you listed. Nearly every one shows ample Qantas (nailed it!) availability at 80k miles on AA's website. But every single one bounces me back to the search page, because it's not really there.