FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:38 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Let's make this about you for a moment. Lets say, for whatever reason, someone wants to do you harm. Could be a partner, a colleague, whatever. Do you want to wait until that person attacks you in the hotel lobby after calling around to figure out where you're staying, and THEN call the police after the fact? Or do you think, just perhaps, random strangers should not be able to get info about whether you're staying there or not before hand, making it just that much harder to do you harm?

I'm sorry, but you absolutely SHOULD expect at least that from the hotel you're staying at, and if they give out any information at all about you and someone shows up and does you harm, that hotel should absolutely be liable for significant damages in a lawsuit to follow.

All they have to do is simply always say "I'm sorry, we are not able to give out guest information" and that's that.
I would never have an expectation that a hotel is a safe house in a witness protection sense. Yes, it should be the case that no personal information is given out, but this is designed for privacy and not for protection reasons. It’s a hotel after all. The lawsuit thing will never work, of course, except possibly in the US.