FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:59 pm
gengar

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I think you misinterpreted my message. The hotel (and their employees) are clearly responsible for their actions, however I think the OP needs to be more proactive here rather than relying on a conversation 15 months prior and FD agents who may or may not care (for a number if reasons) whether they respect her privacy. It's really not clear why this particular person is a "threat" to the OP and drawing a connection to a sexual assault is a stretch given what we know and don't know about this situation. A criminal assault is much different than being in a city with someone who "bothers" you for some unknown reason. I just think the OP needs to act differently if they can't rely on this particular property to respect their wishes and expectations. Sometimes you just need to move on rather than expect a situation to change after multiple attempts to change it.
If this was supposed to be your message, then it was very poorly stated. I mentioned the scenario of a guest being sexually assaulted after an FD agent improperly gave out keys to the guest's room to strangers who were not registered to the room because, appallingly, that exact scenario has occurred several times in recent years. 'Devious people found a way around the rules' in those occurrences - should the response really be that the victims should have been more proactive? Obviously no hotel can guarantee guest safety and security under all circumstances and against any threat, but that fact certainly does not relieve the hotel of the obligation to protect its paying guests. Policies and procedures are (or should be) in place and FD agents shouldn't be disclosing guest information to strangers any more than they should be handing out room keys to drunken strangers who aren't registered guests.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no way to ensure the hotel will be able to promise complete anonymity. What should happen and what happens in practice are often very different. If it were really important to me to be fully incognito, I would book a different hotel and under a different name. I might wear a disguise. But expecting the hotel to be fully watertight with my identity is unrealistic.
As mentioned above, there is no way a hotel can ensure guest safety and security either - but that is not a good rationale for blaming the victim. There's always a line where anyone's expectations will be crossed (is it unrealistic to expect that FD agents not hand out keys to drunken strangers?), so while your expectations may be different, the simple reality is that topic property should have done a lot better in this situation.