FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:57 pm
Aidan

Im not a frequent flyer and have had a similar situation happen to me on AirAsia. I felt bad for the person next to me, seeing the seats on the flight were real small. I just sucked it up for 7 hours and pledged to myself not todo long flights in low cost economy.

I think allot of passengers that don’t fly allot are unaware that seat width can vary so much (I did).

Im of small frame and also was shocked on the seat width in economy when on Hawaiian Airlines. Not much wiggle room for someone with a size 30” waist. Also the pitch for my small legs was crazy.

This coming trip as a now married man and the first time my wife is going to the US. I ensured all seats booked were in the premium cabins, to avoid these issues and so we can minimise some travel stress.

Its a complex issue as I’m sure allot of these larger travellers may not have the funds for two seats, premium seats or unaware how bad the squeeze will be..

The other factor is work travel, large stature is not usually in the policy to fly in anything but one economy seat. Even if it is I’m sure it’s very embarrassing for someone of large stature to request a better seating arrangement.

My take is if its really bad see if you can swap seats, otherwise suck it up, accept and realise it will eventually be over.

When your funds can minimise/avoid the situation then do so.