FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:30 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You don't need to be a celebrity or have an entourage to be able to utilize booked accommodations in a name of someone else that isn't the same name as on say your passport.

Even if having to use your own name and ID to check-in and no one else's name/ID, using initials and partial name order swap and typos can work still. Note that some Hyatt hotels at check-in have been known to revise name on their system so as to have it match a presented passport, for example, whether or not required by law.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no way to ensure the hotel will be able to promise complete anonymity. What should happen and what happens in practice are often very different. If it were really important to me to be fully incognito, I would book a different hotel and under a different name. I might wear a disguise. But expecting the hotel to be fully watertight with my identity is unrealistic.
Booking a hotel is a bad idea if you want a very high degree of privacy. For a high degree of privacy, you get someone to book a safe house of sorts and let them handle the booking, payment and access to the house for some time before you expect to show up and use it for part of the booked period. In and around Jakarta, there are apartments and houses available for rent, even for very short periods of time. Some of them may be better for maintaining a much lower profile than staying in a a higher traffic area like a hotel.

I have known people in Jakarta to use a hired local driver for some such purposes. I also know some people in Jakarta who booked Indonesian Hyatt hotels in their own name and checked-in while soon after check-in allowing other people to occupy the rooms as the secondary guests. Some of these people are lifetime Globalists or nearly there. And some are/were personal acquaintances of some of the Hyatt GMs in Indonesia.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 20, 2019 at 12:42 pm