FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:26 pm
HoustonConsultant

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
There are some hurdles in checking in under a different name.

You are going to need to produce an ID and payment with a name on it, and most folks don't have an extra ID with a different name.

If you are a celebrity, you may have people to handle this, but most people aren't traveling with an entourage.

When I was doing some sensitive work where something could possibly go wrong if people knew were I was, I asked to be put as the secondary guest with an alias as the primary guest. They wouldn't let me check-in as the alias since I did not have an ID with that alias. However, after check-in, I was able to switch it to me as a secondary guest. The "system" then wanted to pull back all my globalist (diamond at the time) benefits because the primary guest was not a diamond (or even a person), but eventually someone was able to override that.

Even with that, if someone had called asking for me, I'm not sure if the system would have shown me as checked in since I was the secondary guest on a reservation.

With IDs and payments, it is hard to get it set up as a complete alias without your real name being linked to a reservation at some point unless you have someone else make the reservation and who show up to check-in for you.

Last edited by HoustonConsultant; Mar 20, 2019 at 12:55 pm