View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:34 am
Absolute

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat75, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
I've made three complaints myself in my life - one was on a Wednesday night at 11pm, the same night of a dirt bike tournament, and people had propped open their room doors for a multi-room party. Second was 1am when a wedding after-party was held in the room above my wife and I, with blaring music, two dozen guests, and they played House of Pain's Jump Around. Third was another party, when my wife and kids were with me, and at 11pm there was another party in the adjacent room, that I had waited to see if they would calm down at 11.

I think all three were reasonable requests, and security personally delivered a warning to them people - not a note, but security actually went to the rooms to see what the circumstances were (which were pretty clear), and delivered a warning.

It's about context and judgement - in your case, I would have preferred a call to my room or someone coming to the door (yadda yadda, what if DND is on), and I'm sure they would have seen a lone person and just asked if you'd be able to talk a bit more quietly. Not a non-confrontational note, that you don't even know if/when the occupant would see.

I do agree with the "one warning" policy though - if security had determined that there was indeed a valid reason for the noise complaint, then a second or third repeat would be reasonable (again, to me at least). You could have the type of people that get a complaint, and decide to be even louder out of anger. As with the initial warning, such a policy gives the hotel the ability to evict the people... but I would still hope that they use their own judgement to enforce that based on the source of the noise complaint, and if they've attempted to be cooperative.