FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU261 compensation claim
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:22 pm
BA6501
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Interesting points of view. Mine was that runway works are well announced, and should be planned for. When I booked this flight I realized a 45 minute connection was risky, but took note that it was not the last flight from MAD to FRA and I wrongly figured, that if I booked in business class, at the very least I'd be accommodated on the 8PM flight. I asked the desk in Malaga if I could reroute on Swiss, which would have ultimately put me in FRA the same night, albeit 3 hours later than original plan. They refused, said I had to stay on IB metal.

Once in MAD, 20 minutes after my booked flight to FRA took off, I again went to the customer service desk, and explained what happened in Malaga, that guy was flabbergasted, said as business class I absolutely should have been moved to Swiss Air. He said, I'd already been booked on a 6:15 Lufthansa flight from MAD (so that flying only IB metal was a farce), but he couldn't get me on the 8pm IB flight that night...never understood why not.

The put me up at the NH hotel, and included all meals while there. I ended up arriving in FRA 13:30 hours late, and just in time for my flight from FRA to SEA that was booked on a separate ticket. My plan had been to arrive in Frankfurt early enough to enjoy a dinner, and a nice sauna, wake up late, have a leisurely breakfast, and head to FRA for my flight to SEA...I did still have to pay for that room in FRA.

All in all, I learned two things, never fly Iberia unless there are no other options never give Iberia more than the cheapest amount for a flight, they won't treat you any different either way. And, number two never give Iberia more than the cheapest amount for a flight, they won't treat you any different either way.
You've been repeatedly told that the 8pm Iberia flight was overbooked. Whatever ticket type you have, they're not going to inconvenience someone else as well by bumping them off to accommodate you.