View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 19, 5:17 pm
ikwia

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador
noise complaint policy

I had a rather surprising experience last evening, and I was curious if anyone had experienced similar, or had general insight on the topic.

Short version of the story: I was alone in my room using speaker phone on my cell phone around 9:30pm. I was sitting at the desk, and I had the phone on the desk in front of me, and i was speaking in a normal tone and volume, as were the other call participants. This was not a contentious call. so there was no yelling, foul language, etc. Apparently the people in the room next door to me reported a noise complaint. I got a note under my door talking about group gatherings and stating the hotel's noise complaint policy. That policy was that on the first complaint, you get a copy of the notice and a warning, and on the second complaint, you are evicted, with no refund.

This all ended well in this case, with the other party getting a different room (and once the front desk found out it was me, they were shocked...I've stayed at this hotel hundreds of nights without incident, and I'm pretty sure that even with a second complaint I would have been OK). But I found this policy, if applied literally as written, pretty draconian, especially due to the subjective nature of excessive noise. Also of some interest is that the policy stated that quiet hours start at 10pm, even though they must have called before then. But as written, if the same party called back to report a second complaint, the hotel can evict you.