FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was I being unreasonable - echeck-in/room type change -- walk?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:31 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hotturnip
My, aren't you clever?

Because the difference is FAR more marked when you're talking about air travel. You pay a lot more, and you get many more services. Any idiot can see that.
The ONLY difference in the room types (in most of these chain hotels) is the type of bed.

So my question remains: why is this so important that one would insist on being walked to another hotel? That's way more trouble than just sleeping in a double bed.
Several reasons:
- Most importantly, I sleep terribly in small beds.
- I reserved a particular type of room (not "run of house"), and I want what I reserved. No different than if I go to a restaurant order a burger get served chicken -- it may be the same price, it may still be food, and the chicken may be "better", but presumably I ordered the burger because I wanted a burger.
- I would not have booked at that hotel had they not offered the bed type I desired. [I think I looked at a nearby property that had a lower rate and was only offering doubles and passed on it but that may have been a different stay in a different city I booked around the same time]
- There was, if I recall correctly, a slight price premium for the room type I reserved. ($20 or so)

The "walking" part comes down to the FDA's attitude and insistence on blaming the hotel's problem on me. Had the hotel accepted responsibility for screwing up the room assignment and especially had they offered anything to show they were sorry--preferably before I called them on it, I would have been in a more forgiving mood. But when it comes to the point of blaming be, despite evidence to the contrary, and insisting I was "changing my mind" -- I'm willing to take some inconvenience.