FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:14 pm
tecate55

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
I think there is even a rule that you must use your US passport for entering the US but I'm not totally sure)
If a US citizen, you'll need your US passport or PR card to get on the flight, otherwise the airline should deny boarding. If you show up at a land border, you're supposed to present one of those documents, but they're supposed to let you in if you can prove you're a US citizen. They can't really refuse a US citizen entry, US passport or not.

The claim is only good for applying at the embassy or consulate for the citizenship and getting an EU passport.
Depends on the country. For some, the citizenship isn't automatic, but for others it is. You go to the consulate to get your papers confirming your citizenship, not to apply for it. Just like an American without a passport.

So if you have an EU passport as a dual citizen you will not need the ESTIA. In case you don't know that you are eligible for an EU passport you have live with the fact hat you have to pay the fee for ESTIA.
It's not the 14 EUR or whatever I'm worried about. It's being eligible for an ETIAS at all.

And I highly doubt that any EU country will hunt down anybody who might have a claim for a citizenship because some great great parent immigrated to the US, Canada or any other country in one of the last centuries. With the millions of emigrants that left Europe over the centuries this would be a bit crazy.
Let's hope they keep that in mind when they create the application, but I fear that question 1 will be: "Where were you born?" and question 2 will be "Do you hold any citizenships in ________? (note: You can be a citizen even if you don't hold a passport)". Sometimes parents did register their children's birth, unbeknownst to the child later in life.

On the other topic of ESTIA / ESTA / ETA being a visa or not. IMHO they are an electronic authorization to participate in a visa-waiver program meaning that if you pass the authorization you do not need a visa. In case you fail the authorization your have to apply for a normal visa (for example when your ESTA authorization gets denied you can apply for a normal visa. The normal visa process is not linked at all to ESTA. It is even handled by two different departments. ESTA by the Department of Homeland Security and Visa by the Department of State)
The usual rhyme about it not being a visa is because you only need an ESTA/ETA to *board* a commercial plane/ship/bus/train if you're from a visa-waiver country. A New Zealander can still drive to the Canada without an ETA or a visa. The logistics can be a bit complicated, but they *could*: just apply for an ESTA, fly to Seattle and rent a car. (Seriously, this is what people do when they lose their PR card overseas).

Reciprocity is technically maintained, and everyone is happy about it, except for everyone's life that just got a bit more complicated (ie: half the planet's).