FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:38 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bhdcommuter
By this stage the night stopping aircraft had arrived and the captain went onto explain that he had asked the company if the crew could operate that aircraft, however he was told no and the flight was cancelled. BA have stated the flight was damaged outside of their control no I am not eligible for compensation.
This is not an easy one to call, for most posts here I can generally make a reasonable judgement, this one - well what a catalogue of problems! I tend to feel you do not have a claim here.

Lightning strikes can be Extraordinary Circumstances, but to save a huge amount of typing when my next flight is about to be called I will just say that the key and definite part of that is that "all reasonable steps" certainly applies. Looking at your list, for the night departure, I'm not clear what more BA could have done to get this flight off the ground in the circumstances. Of course you can give it a go via CEDR, personally I doubt that I would do so.