FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting charged for a stopover
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:14 pm
Alisonnoonan

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I think that's unethical and it saddens me to see how American credit cards allow consumers to do this. You travelled didn't you? Do you genuinely believe you are owed the entire trip for free just because of that inconvenience? I'm not saying EK is in the right and shouldn't offer some gesture of goodwill, though I don't see that happening. But a dispute of the full amount feels like theft and/or fraud to me (even though it likely doesn't meet the technical definitions thereof)
It's not an American credit card.
I travelled, but I had to go a day early because by the time I had sorted out the mess they had created they had sold out of the fare class on my chosen date and I incurred additional expenses as a result. They caused massive inconvenience and stress. It is not unethical to take action when a company is in breach of contract. I was more inclined to spend £400 on a new flight with another airline than to let them cheat me of £100.
I've emailed them and asked if they would like to call me and put things right because my only other option is taking this action.
5 separate agents all gave wrong information and I felt like they had me over a barrel.
No I don't believe I am owed the trip for free. I can't dispute a partial amount with my credit card.
All I want is fair treatment, but sadly this has not been offered at any point and I've had enough dealings with Emirates to understand they are unlikely to fix the problem.
Even you don't see Emirates offering a gesture of goodwill. Herein lies the problem. If Emirates showed concern for their customers and showed even any inclination to put things right when their staff mess up I wouldn't be in this dilemna.
But I'm not willing to have them cause this stress and expense to me and not even attempt to put it right when their agents were in breach of my fare rules so I will take this course of action unless they offer an alternative.
Judge me if you want, but you're not qualified.

Last edited by Alisonnoonan; Mar 18, 2019 at 12:25 pm Reason: typo