FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:52 am
boolean64

My stay is not for quite a while. I've also decided not to use an SNA here as we've enjoyed the vineyard view several times before. A few other thoughts...

First, given your situation, upgrading to a vineyard view room is a wise use of an SNA. The ambiance is pretty spectacular, especially if you don't live in northern california and visit wine country regularly. This is one place where the "upgraded view" is truly a differentiator with real value.

Second, you can try to call and book the vineyard view room for additional points. I have not tried to do this since the merger so i don't even know if it still exists, but pre-merger one could book the vineyard view room for an extra 1,500-2,500 starpoints a night. It was called a select premium room category or something like that. Probably worth a call to see if this option still exists. If it does, it's probably way more than an extra 4,500-7,500 points an night...yet another enhancement from the merger. But potentially still worth it to confirm the right room way ahead of time depending on your point balance...then still put in for the junior suite SNA.

Third, at least one of the junior suites is in the "acacia house." The standard rooms are nice enough that i'd probably prefer the vineyard view to having a larger room in the main house. So I'd only check the junior suite vineyard view and not ask for a junior suite in the acacia house if you are looking for views over more space. There are good pics of the acacia house junior suite on the website.

As you can see upthread, i have mixed feelings about this property. Good hard product but service when i've stayed has been more miss than hit. The biggest benefit is its proximity to downtown St Helena and Yountville. So even if you strike out on the SNA, realize that you are getting a screaming deal for being in the heart of the valley floor and just make sure to leverage that by getting out and about and planning ahead for good dinner bookings. The vineyard view is obviously superior to the estate view, but don't get too bummed if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by boolean64; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:01 am